Schedule a Free Consultation|
Call 815-740-4025

I Need to Drive Again but I had a DUI

 Posted on November 14, 2022 in Uncategorized

Tired of taking the bus or asking friends to give you a ride? If you want to get behind the wheel again but have had your license suspended or revoked, do not go it alone. We believe everyone needs to drive and we will help you get a full license reinstatement whether you have several unpaid traffic tickets or were driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

An RDP Permit Will Get You Driving

If your driver’s license has been suspended or revoked, you may be able to get back on the road with a restricted driving permit (RDP). That permit will allow you to drive to work, take your kids to school, or go to a doctor’s appointment. Some clients are even eligible for a probationary permit, which will allow you to drive up to 12 hours a day, six days a week within a 200 mile radius. You will need to attend a hearing to prove your eligibility for the permit and you must drive with the permit for at least nine months before you are eligible for your next hearing.

If your license is revoked because of two or or more DUI convictions, you should expect to drive a vehicle with a Breath Alcohol Ignition Interlock Device for five years as a prerequisite for full reinstatement of your driving privileges. If you have four or more DUI convictions, your driver’s license will be revoked indefinitely, with some clients still being eligible for a RDP or clearance if you no longer live in the State of Illinois.

License Reinstatement

You must petition for an administrative hearing with the Illinois Secretary of State’s Office. They will take your driving history into account and it is your opportunity to show that you are worthy of driving again. If you are trying to get your license back after being convicted of DUI for example, these are some of the requirements if you are seeking reinstatement:

  • No pending traffic tickets
  • Participate in a support/recovery program for at least 12 months (Level III clients only)
  • Complete substance abuse treatment and submit proof
  • Complete a DUI Risk Education Course (Most Clients)
  • Meet with the hearing officer from the Secretary of State’s office along with your attorney
  • Pay a $500 reinstatement fee or more and an application fee
  • Take a written and driving test and pass a vision exam
  • Obtain SR-22 insurance and maintain it for 36 months

The above list is not exhaustive or inclusive for all clients. Our office will advise you based on your background as to what will be required.

Contact a Joliet License Reinstatement Attorney

If you need to drive again, contact the Law Offices of Jack L. Zaremba, P.C.. Do not try to manage the hearings on your own. You need an experienced Will County driver’s license reinstatement attorney. Call 815-740-4025 for a free consultation.

Share this post:
badge badge
badge badge badge badge badge
Back to Top