Schedule a Free Consultation|
Call 815-740-4025

FAQ – Out Of State Residents

I Am No Longer an Illinois Resident – How Do I Remove a Hold on My Driver's License?

There are two options to remove the hold Illinois has on your license. 1) An "out-of-state packet" can be mailed to Springfield for their review. This is the most convenient way, although in our experience, this method yields the least success. 2) An in-person hearing. Although this is not the most convenient option when you live out of state, in our experience, this method yields the greatest likelihood of success. Our firm will help you schedule this in-person formal hearing, and we will guide you through the entire process from beginning to end. Contact our office to discuss the process in detail.

Are There Other Options for Out-of-State License Reinstatement?

Even if you never had an Illinois license, receiving a DUI conviction in Illinois is all it takes to receive a hold on your driver's license from another state. This means that you will need to either submit an out-of-state packet or appear at an in-person hearing in order to have the hold removed from your license. It does not matter if you have no plans to return to this state or ever drive here again in the future. You still must complete the out-of-state license reinstatement process.

Unfortunately, due to the national database system in place today, your home state will check to see if there are any issues with any other states prior to issuing you a license and, in some cases, even prior to renewing your home state license. This procedure was put in place to stop individuals from moving to a new state to obtain a driver's license after having their driving privileges revoked in another state.

What if I Have Been Denied in the Past? Can I Still Reapply?

Even if you have been denied a license reinstatement in the past, we can still help. The Secretary of State provides the blueprint of what went wrong in your hearing in a document called the "denial letter." Our firm will go through every issue with you and make the appropriate changes to the documents that you submitted to the state for your hearing, and we will also work with you to prepare for the numerous questions that will be asked in your hearing. We will work closely with an evaluator to make sure they are addressing every concern the hearing officer had when reviewing your license reinstatement request. We will clarify any points of concern that the state had with your initial hearing.

What Happened? An Old DUI Is Now showing up? Do I Still Need a Hearing?

Believe it or not, even if your DUI took place 10 or 20 years ago, it can still put a hold on your license. Nowadays, almost every state participates in the national database system that allows them to "talk" to each other regarding traffic offenses and/or arrests. This database system is relatively new, and more and more information is being added to it every day. If you have had an old DUI that was recently added to the database, it may result in a hold on your license, even if you have had no traffic violations since the original offense. Unfortunately, you will need to go through the Illinois license reinstatement hearing process, either through submitting an out-of-state packet or appearing at an in-person hearing, to remove the hold on your license.

What Types of Documents Do I Need for the Hearing?

The State of Illinois requires specific documents when evaluating your out-of-state packet or when you have an in-person hearing. Although Illinois will accept out-of-state documents from out-of-state evaluators, it is important to make sure that person is aware of the requirements of the Illinois Secretary of State, and they must be able to provide the appropriate documentation. Our firm will work with evaluators to make sure that any issues or problems are resolved well in advance of your hearing.

I Completed Treatment Once. Do I Have to Do it Again?

Typically, no. The State of Illinois will give you credit for the treatment you completed after your last DUI or your last alcohol-related offense. At a minimum, you must have an updated evaluation or a new evaluation prepared along with a treatment needs assessment/waiver if more than six months have passed since your last evaluation. We will advise you on what additional documentation you need, if necessary.

Do I Need a Will County Out-of-State License Reinstatement Attorney?

You are not required to have an attorney with you during the out-of-state hearing process. However, these matters can be complex and confusing. You can benefit by working with an experienced and knowledgeable Joliet driver's license reinstatement lawyer. At the Law Offices of Jack L. Zaremba, P.C., we have helped many Illinois residents and non-residents get their driving privileges back. We will walk you through the entire process from beginning to end. We are confident we can get you back on the road again. To schedule a free consultation, contact us at 815-740-4025.

badge badge
badge badge badge badge badge
Back to Top