Schedule a Free Consultation|
Call 815-740-4025

Two Types of Driving Permits After a DUI License Suspension

 Posted on July 28, 2018 in Uncategorized

Being charged and convicted of a DUI, or even being suspected of a DUI, can carry serious consequences, including the suspension or revocation of your driver’s license. In Illinois, you face a statutory summary license suspension if you fail a chemical test, refuse to submit to one, or fail to finish chemical testing. If you fail a chemical test, that means your blood-alcohol content (BAC) was more than .08% or you had a THC content of five or more nanograms per milliliter of blood or 10 or more nanograms per milliliter of a different bodily substance. The suspension is not a criminal charge, so you do not have to be convicted of a DUI to have your license suspended. Though suspensions can be troublesome, you have two options for obtaining a driving permit during your suspension.

Monitoring Device Driving Permit (MDDP)

This type of permit is available to first-time DUI offenders through the Illinois Secretary of State’s office and allows unlimited driving during the statutory suspension period. In order to receive a MDDP, you must have a breath alcohol ignition interlock device (BAIID) installed in your vehicle and maintained for the length of your suspension period. Those who are not eligible for a MDDP include drivers who are under the age of 18 and those who have previously received a statutory summary suspension in the last 5 yrrs. Drivers are also not eligible for a MDDP if they were driving with an invalid license, or if the DUI resulted in the death or great bodily harm to another.

Restricted Driving Permit (RDP)

A RDP is the type of permit that you could request if you were convicted of two or more DUIs, faced two statutory summary suspensions, or had one DUI conviction with a statutory suspension from a separate DUI arrest. As with a MDDP, installing a BAIID is also a requirement for obtaining a RDP. To receive a RDP, you must attend an administrative hearing at the Secretary of State’s office, where a hearing officer will decide whether or not you would be a threat to public safety if you were granted a RDP.

Contact a Joliet DUI Defense Lawyer

If you have been arrested for DUI, the smartest move you can make next is contacting an aggressive Will County DUI defense attorney. With a former Will County prosecutor by your side, you have peace of mind knowing you have the help of someone who knows what you are up against. Call the Law Offices of Jack L. Zaremba, P.C. at 815-740-4025 to set up a free consultation.

Share this post:
badge badge
badge badge badge badge badge
Back to Top